Tuesday, February 11, 2014

iPad Apps

The often asked question, "What is a good iPad app for X?" with X being whatever subject the student needs help in.
My short answer, "I don't know." Which makes me sound a little dumb, but I usually follow up with the following.

There are over 1 million apps out there and I heard the other day that over 60% of them are geared for education in one way or another.

So how do you sort through all of those apps? Here are a few resources by people who have done so.

TCEA - http://www.tcea.org/ipad - A crowd-sourced app list kept by the Texas Computer Educators Association. It is broken down by curriculum area and is added to often. A good list to check back with.

Kathy Schrock's Guide to Everything - http://www.schrockguide.net/ipads-in-the-classroom.html - Including an extensive iPad apps page. Kathy has listed everything from K-12 List of Ipad Apps, to apps by Bloom's Taxonomy, to tutorials on how to use the iPad, and many more related materials. I especially like the iPad content app evaluation guides that teachers should use to help evaluate apps, especially paid apps before the purchase.

Richard Byrne's iPad Apps for School - http://ipadapps4school.com/ - Richard is always updating tis page with the latest apps he discovers for classroom use. Don't forget to also check out his regular blog Free Technology for Teachers.

From time to time I will highlight an app on here that I find. More often than not it will an app that will address one of the higher levels of Bloom's Taxonomy or a tool that will help a teacher do their job more effectively.

If you discover a great app that I should post, let me know using the contact form on the right side of the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment